25 January 2010

Heat Wave (#9)


Heat Wave was published to coincide with the same event happening on the TV show Castle. I watch the show, so my husband thought it would be a good gift for me. Isn't that funny?

I enjoyed the book. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, even though Rick Castle is supposed to be a Pulitzer-Prize winning author on the show. Heat Wave was entertaining and a relatively quick read.  The characters weren't too developed, probably because they are characterizations of the characters on the show, who are developed and if you watch the show then you're going to think about these characters and all of their characteristics while you read the book. At least, I know that I did.

Jameson Rook and Nikki Heat are almost identical to Castle and Beckett (though Rook doesn't have a teenage daughter and his mother living with him - at least, it isn't explicitly mentioned).  But here, in the pages of Castle's fantasy, he and "Nikki" get the opportunity to act upon the sexual tension that the show depicts so well.  It makes it seem like it would almost work on the show, but what would be the fun in that?

I give this book 3.5 stars, because it was entertaining and fun; I could've used a bit more meat in the book, but I was still happy with it because I still get that substance from the tv show.

No comments:

Post a Comment