27 January 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry (#2)

I'm reviewing this book out of order, because I forgot I hadn't reviewed it yet. I hadn't forgotten about reading it, of course.

I really enjoy Niffenegger, and I had been anticipating her follow-up novel for a while. Her Fearful Symmetry was nothing like Tine Traveler's Wife. Which was a good thing, though I loved TTW and everything. I was just glad to see that Niffenegger was not a one-trick pony.

The characters were all well-written, but the pairs of twin sisters all seemed a little incomplete without the other. I realize this may have been a purposeful technique, but not being a twin it seemed a little codependent at times. I also felt like the supporting cast struggled at times, because it seemed like Niffenegger couldn't decide whether she wanted to make them central characters or keep them on the periphery.

Despite these two criticisms, I still thought it was a really enjoyable book. I wouldn't call it flawless, of course, but it was worth picking up to lose yourself in Niffenegger's fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment