25 January 2010

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4), Rick Riordan (#8)



The same thing happened when I read Harry Potter. I got sucked into a series and I'm can't put them down. When I get through the next book, I'll be really sad, but at least I won't have to wait for another book to come out. I didn't start reading HP (or Twilight, for that matter) until the last book had been released, so I haven't had to go through the waiting for the next book feeling.  Instant gratification.


So far, this has probably been my favorite book of the series, because all of the things that I've loved about the previous books, but also because of the great detail of the labyrinth. The insertion of the new mythological characters, and the great effects of all the characters on the others, really makes this book an enjoyable one, and the final book is certain to be a great ending to the series.  


The gods are, at times, portrayed as elusive, overwhelming characters who exist in a realm beyond that of the lives of those on Earth below them, but most of the time they appear as remarkably humanlike, with many of the characteristics you would expect any mortal to have.  These gods offer much to the kids as they make their way through the labyrinth, but they oftentimes have their own agendas, just like mere mortals. One of the reasons that the mythological gods are so intriguing is this, their mortal qualities, and the stake that they have in our lives and our humanity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment